Monday, April 26, 2010

The Bizarre and Brilliant World of Knitted Science



I'm always fascinated by the things people choose to knit. Take a look here http://discovermagazine.com/photos/03-the-bizarre-and-brilliant-world-of-knitted-science




All the items were produced by different Knitters who have completely different professions some science based. If you follow the links Emily Stoneking has an Etsy shop http://www.etsy.com/shop/CraftyHedgehog with more traditional knit toys.





I'm slightly creeped out by a few of these things but awed by the designers ingenuity in the way the knitting represents the intended science concept. I suspect that the technical challenge was often the motivation for the knitting. A few of the items are simply beautiful and belong in the art world more than the craft world for those of us who make a distinction. (I'm not yet clear in my own mind exactly if that distinction is more than semantics or elitism or if it matters at all).


What I do love is the whimsical nature of some of the pieces, the pure joy I have looking at them and the knowledge that there are some fabulous Knitters out there doing more of this that I will get to see in the future.

1 comment:

  1. Love your blog and it's fascinating to see all knit-related extra's! Thank you!

    ReplyDelete