Monday, April 26, 2010

The Bizarre and Brilliant World of Knitted Science

I'm always fascinated by the things people choose to knit. Take a look here

All the items were produced by different Knitters who have completely different professions some science based. If you follow the links Emily Stoneking has an Etsy shop with more traditional knit toys.

I'm slightly creeped out by a few of these things but awed by the designers ingenuity in the way the knitting represents the intended science concept. I suspect that the technical challenge was often the motivation for the knitting. A few of the items are simply beautiful and belong in the art world more than the craft world for those of us who make a distinction. (I'm not yet clear in my own mind exactly if that distinction is more than semantics or elitism or if it matters at all).

What I do love is the whimsical nature of some of the pieces, the pure joy I have looking at them and the knowledge that there are some fabulous Knitters out there doing more of this that I will get to see in the future.

1 comment:

  1. Love your blog and it's fascinating to see all knit-related extra's! Thank you!