Monday, August 2, 2010

My Knitting History




My sister Holly and I recently went through many of the old family photo albums that were stored in bins in her storage locker. Neither of us have children so there is no one to pass these albums to. Many of the photos are so old they are beginning to deteriorate. We each picked out a selection of shots that we wish to keep for ourselves and will restore. I pulled out a group of ones that show me wearing hand knits (and one crocheted poncho) that were all done for me by my Mother and decided to share them with you. Judging by my various hairdos I was any where from 12 to 18 in these photographs. I started knitting for myself when I was 17 but I do remember the fun my Mother had making these garments for me. She was a prolific knitter and gave many many items away as gifts and as donations to needy causes. She was always happy to knit for me and we enjoyed picking the patterns and colours out together. I will always have very fond memories of her and those times. She passed away from Ovarian cancer when I was in my early twenties. I like to think about how her love of knitting has been passed to me and lives on and of all the wonderful friends and things that have come into my life by maintaining her legacy and honouring her memory.



1 comment: