Wednesday, September 22, 2010

KnitTrade - I was there


Last Saturday I attended KnitTrade, the brand-new trade show started by Deb & Lynda Gemmell  of Cabin Fever fame.


As described by them "This is a trade show for people working in the knitting industry. It’s primarily a platform for smaller, independent wholesalers to show their goods to shop owners. Smaller, independent companies offer unique products and accessibility to the owner. Come and meet us. If you are a designer, hand-dyer, pattern writer or a knitting industry worker you are welcome to be a vendor and sell your product and services or register to come in and shop. A Vendor Permit or other proof of business is required. Shop owners and their staff will need to register. There is a small fee which will be returned to you at the door as Vendor Bucks to spend on the floor. And yes, there will be shopping. Vendors will be happy to sell you product on a cash and carry basis as well as take orders. We hope you will join us in promoting our industry."


I attended as a designer and went with my friend Mary Pat who was working a booth for Lucy Neatby. I spent some time last week preparing a handout which gives my bio and a list of workshops that I can teach. I gave it out to anyone who expressed interest so hopefully it will lead to some teaching opportunities. I spent some time at the beginning of the show wandering the floor and enjoying conversations with many of the vendors who took booths. I love how so many people in the knitting world are ready to chat and share information that is so educational for me as a newbie. My vendor bucks were spent on hand dyed yarn from the Painted Fleece. I also took the opportunity to collect business cards from people who said they will do interviews here so watch for those in the coming months. There was a good variety of business's there so I'm planning to add to the designer and dyers series.






Later on I joined Mary Pat at Lucy's booth and helped out there whenever she was already busy with another visitor. Lucy is an amazing designer, very prolific and has an outstanding reputation as a teacher. She is also representing a yarn from Denmark called  Kauni and she has developed some gorgeous patterns that take advantage of the very long colourways in each ball.


The show was very successful attracting a large room of vendors and many buyers from all over Ontario. I expect that next year will be even bigger and better! 


Many thanks to Deb and Lynda for including me in their very first KnitTrade.

1 comment:

  1. Thanks for coming to the KnitTrade show. It's was great to see so many people from the different facets of our industry get together in one place. You never know what could happen when we all talk to each other. I think some interesting collaborations are going to come out of this.

    ReplyDelete