Wednesday, September 7, 2011

How to Style the Pinstripe Vest

How to style pinstripe vest

I have a vest pattern in the current issue of A Needle Pulling Thread. I just got my issue in the mail, when I checked the website it had not yet been updated. 

Carla, who is the publisher asked me how I thought it should be styled so I sent her the picture above. They went with a more simple styling than I would have, which is probably because I tend to be a little overdressed. At least that's what my husband is always telling me! 



I think my suggestions would have been inappropriate on the model that they used so I'm very happy with the result. It is interesting how age impacts personal style. What looks great on the young can appear a little unfinished on someone older. The model is young and their styling looks fresh on her. I also really liked that they left the shirt un-tucked to highlight the vest point. I have knit the vest for myself in a slightly different variation. I will probably wear it with a red bag to highlight my red glasses with either pearls or silver jewelery, gray trousers and ballet flats.

I was worried that I didn't have control over the styling and about how it would turn out, but that's just part of the business. Many of my professional designer friends tell me that they are on occasion very unhappy with the styling approach that publications take to their work. On some occasions they have been absolutely thrilled and felt that the stylist came up with something even better than they imagined.

Designer readers: what has your experience been with this? Please feel to post comments. Thank you

1 comment:

  1. I don't have personal experience with stylists, but I love the way it's styled above. I'm in that age demographic, and that's definitely how I'd wear that vest. Love it!

    ReplyDelete