Wednesday, September 14, 2011

New Pattern - The Mary Westmacott Shawl


I wrote a little bit about this pattern a few weeks ago in this post. The bottom up construction really appeals to me. Each right side row shortens by 4 stitches making the work feel as though it is speeding up the closer you get to the end. 


The stitch pattern for this shawl is easy to learn because of its strong visual nature. It utilizes sections of reverse stocking stitch to delineate each leaf pattern. It’s completely charted to make the transitions simple to follow as each section decreases. A center pattern panel shifts the decrease columns out from the mid way point to make it a little prettier than the standard form of triangle shawl construction.


The yarn I used has a little silk and cashmere so this is an absolute pleasure to wrap around my body. You can find the pattern here.

1 comment:

  1. Really lovely. I like the panel down the back and I think knitting it up from the bottom would be great.

    ReplyDelete