Wednesday, August 14, 2013

It's All in the Details



Some of us care about little things that don't bother others. I'm referring here to bra straps that show. If you care, here's my way of keeping them under control. This treatment is used in high end clothing to keep straps hidden. I often use it on garments with wider than average necklines.

Sew a small snap (choose the portion with the opening) to the garment. Take a long strand of thread folded in half and put it through the eye of a needle, you now have four strands of yarn. Knot the end, anchor it on the garment and make a crochet chain of thread. You can use a small crochet hook or your fingers to make the chain. Make sure that the length of the chain will not extend past the edge of the garment when it is folded back to the original half of the snap. Fasten off the chain and sew the other side of the snap to the end. 

If you are adding this on a garment that has narrow straps instead of sleeves, anchor the chain on the outside edge. Sew one half snap to the inside (neck) edge. Add the other side of the snap to the end of the chain. This will create a tunnel to hold the strap.

When you put the garment on, trap your bra strap inside the chain and join the two halves of the snap to hold it in place.


Your bra strap will be where I've inserted the pen when the snap is fastened.


3 comments:

  1. I can't even begin to count the number of tank tops that I don't bother trying on or the patterns that I don't look at past the cover picture - all because of the bra strap showng issue. But I can't picture what you are describing for the tank strap. If you could possibly post a picture of this I would really appreciate it!

    ReplyDelete